6.26.2011

Gesundheit [gəˈzʊnthait] aka Gazoontite

So at work there is this guy who works over the cubical wall from me. Well one day he sneezed. Ok, cool. I try to be a courteous person, so I naturally said, "Bless you." Well since then I have discovered that he sneezes ALL DAY LONG. Perfect. Now I'm in a personal awkward predicament. See, I really don't want to say "Bless you" all day long... that has to be annoying for him because I know it's starting to get annoying for me but I don't want to be rude either. So I was like... hmm what else could I say when he sneezes; there's always "Gazoontite" (or it's german lineage gesundheit [gəˈzʊnthait]), what else is there?

I googled "What to say when someone sneezes," and it only gave me the two options from above. UNLESS I want to go foreign... then I have some more options:

France: May your hopes and wishes come true!

United Kingdom: God bless you

Spanish speaking countries but not Spain (haha): Salud

Brazil: Saude (Means "Health")

Yugoslavia: Na zdravlje

Netherlands: gezondheid

Yup... that's it!

2 comments:

Heather said...

hahaha too funny! You should just start coughing when he sneezes so you can pretend like you didn't hear him!

Amy said...

Haha Heath... done! I will start working on my fake coughing attack now.