4.15.2013

2013: The Year of Mistakes

I have a friend from college who has decided that 2013 should be about life mistakes. We were talking about how we are still young and hate that we're starting "careers" and getting stuck in a lifestyle pattern that we will be doing until our late 60s and that we are missing the time where we can take random fun jobs and internships and have other experiences that can happen when we are young and single. And the entire discussion started because she wants 2013 to be about life mistakes.

Now when she says life mistakes, it is probably not what you are thinking of; she is thinking more on the lines of taking jobs you've always thought would be fun, not practical and you've talked yourself out of. For example working on a cruise ship or taking a Disney internship or working for an airline or hotel chain for the benefits. I have one friend who has always secretly wanted to be a forest ranger... 2013 is the year to do it! So maybe they're not mistakes... maybe they're experiences.

Goodness knows I've already made my first "life mistake" this year; I quit a perfectly great job. (refer to my post on 3/4/12, "Unemployment") But hey, from that I'm going to spend time with family, travel (well more than I already do), maybe take a fun internship somewhere or just move to Boston because I've always wanted to and find a job there for a few months.

This concept is completely out of my comfort zone. I'm a planner, I like having a plan. So maybe it will be good for me to fly by the seat of my pants (is it seat or seed or neither?). Maybe this is like getting a mid-life crisis out of my system before I have more serious responsibilities in my life.

anyways... Here's to 2013, the year of life mistakes! and really... maybe we should all take "mistakes" every once in awhile... even if they are small.

No comments: