11.03.2013

Customer Service

I don't know about you but lately I have started to notice a big decline in customer service ediquette. I don't know if it has to do with the next generations in the workforce, like I recently blogged about in "My Generation in the Work Force," or if employers no longer know how to train their employees or if the expectations are lower. But there is absolutely a decline.

A family friend owns a bakery and he has noticed a change in employees. He said it used to be that he could hire ten employees and nine would be amazing, dependable, hard workers, and one would be lazy and easy to fire. Today he says that he is lucky to get one great employee out of a group of ten.

I recently have had two customer service experiences that I was surprised at.

I went to a grocery store to return an item that would be easy to return (not like a banana) and got into the customer service line. When the girl behind the counter looked up saw me in line she said, "What do you want?" I think my mouth dropped I was so shocked. I couldn't believe my ears! Along with being shocked at her attitude and think the shock was multiplied by the fact that I was at the customer service counter; usually you get more professional people working those jobs. Let's just say she was very pleasant to converse with... not. I later realized that the customer service counter was closing in 2 minutes when I showed up and thought the she easily could have kindly and simply said, "Sorry we're closed." OR heaven forbid, having true customer service, she could have taken an extra minute to help a customer.

The other was when I was at Macy's in the bedding department and I was very disappointed in the customer service. There were three women sales associates all chatting, not quietly I may add, at the register and complaining about their bonuses and how they were not up to their expectations. They continued to gossip about other co-workers and their managers. These employees made the environment negative and uncomfortable. Not once did these women ask if I, or any of the other shoppers in the area, had questions or needed assistance. I had two items to buy while I was there; one I was certain about, the other I had questions on. I bought the item I was certain on but decided to go to another store for the other item where I didn't feel like I was in a hostile environment and it would be easier to ask questions.

You know, there are bad experiences like this and you start to believe that customer service doesn't even exist. But then you visit places like In 'n' Out, Chick Filet, Hot Dog on a Stix, etc and their employees are OVERLY helpful and kind and almost jolly. These are fast food restaurants and somehow they are the ones giving excellent customer service. I'm really curious what is in their business plan that keeps their customer service in tack and their employees happy. The only other places I seem to see good customer service these days are at extremely expensive stores and they're only being nice because you're buying their service OR when you look like a million bucks for the same reason.

Fun Fact: at Chick Filet anytime you say, "Thank You," the employees will always respond by saying, "My Pleasure."... Every time.

1 comment:

Heather said...

It is so true that customer service is not the same...Sadly I am usually surprised when I receive great customer service. You should complain about your bad experiences to those stores! You can usually do it online or email them. I have done that a few times and always receive some sort of deal or gift card and apology. Not saying you should do it for free stuff, but more importantly, hopefully those stores will care and do something about it! Ok, ending my novel comment now. :)